Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Therapy Training

Franklin and I will be embarking on the Delta Society's Pet Partners home study training course. I think it's time for a new challenge for myself and the poopy dog. He did very well in Cleveland during Labor Day for my Grandma's 100th birthday. My Grandma is, as her age suggests, not very mobile and slightly frail. Franklin was curious about her, and very friendly. Most of the time he is a bit shy with new people, but with my Grandma he was wide open.

Therapy dogs provide valuable emotional support for the elderly and sick children. Studies have shown that exposure to dogs reduces stress in most people, and they take people's minds off their illnesses. Therapy dogs are often used with autistic children, who sometimes show openess and emotions around the animals that they have trouble expressing with humans.

I think this will be an excellent opportunity for me, and Franklin will have exposure to all kinds of people.

Wish us luck!

No comments: