Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Becoming a professional

I just took a lookee loo at the NADOI provisional membership application. A provisional membership in NADOI is for apprentices like me. Let me tell you, it's hard. It's long. It's detailed. If this is a provisional membership, I shudder to think what the full-fledged membership entails.

But I'm going to do it. By god. NADOI is top-of-the-line for dog training instructors. Lloyd will help me with my application, I'm sure, and I'll be on my way.

Also, Franklin tried on a Gentle Leader last night and it fit! We're working on some
e positive reinforcement training to gradually get him used to it. The Gentle Leader will be a huge help in our therapy team training. It's not a muzzle, by the way - it's like a horse bridle. Basically, a collar that doesn't go around the neck, but around the snout instead. The name is as it implies....a gentle way to lead a dog. Ask your dog trainer about it. It does take some instruction and training to use it, but it's well worth it. Every dog I've seen who uses one is a dream to handle. Can't wait to get going with it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Gentle Leader. The only problem I have is Dinah occasionally "scrapes" at it while walking. I've tried a little tug or a stop to correct it, but so far no luck.

You and Franklin will be qualified for your provisional NADOI in no time.

Anja said...

my goodness, franklin certainly looks different with that gentle leader on, even his hair colour looks different ;)

Unknown said...

Good going, Kirks!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha - laughing at anja