Monday, March 26, 2007

You Know What "They" Say...

An apropos quotation for today:

"Youth is wasted on the young"

It's hope and regret mixed together, I guess. See, today I am 35 years old. I am midway through a years-long career change. If only I knew then what I know now, is that how it goes?

The regret: I spent 4 years of college and my parents' money studying a field that I only used for 5 or so years after graduation. I could have studied psychology or biology, emphasized behavior theory and modification, and been rapidly progressing to becoming one of the top dog behaviorists in the country. Who knew working in an office was so soul-draining and reflux-inducing? I didn't. Every adult I knew worked in an office. It's just not for me.

The hope: I am doing it. Albeit 15 years later, but I think (hope) I have another 30-40 years of prime time left, and maybe I'll still become top of the field, although probably not in the realm of behavior, more in the area of obedience/positive reinforcement training. But the door is open, of course, for me to change my mind. And that's the wonderful thing about life - you never know what's around the next bend. The goal is entirely attainable - that I will be making a living helping people understand the doggy mind, and train their dogs to live among humans.

So, today I am telling myself: "yes, I could have done it years ago, but no worries - I'm doing it now".

I leave you with Franklin and his new friend, from the dog park on Sunday morning:











10 comments:

Claire said...

Happy Birthday! There is no point in thinking what you should have done differently, it just makes you (not you personally, in the general sense) mopey. Be glad you've found something you love.

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

I love that video
sometime we have to do other things first, so we know for sure what we want out of life.

Anonymous said...

I love the dog park video, too. Please don't use the hose again.

CelticCrone

Anonymous said...

ok, I'll try it again.
I love that horndoggie!
And Franklin is such a good sport, isn't he?
XOXOOX,
Tig

Anonymous said...

following orders from the serial killer in the sig line over there.
Hiya! I love that you are doing something you are passionate about. Folks need to do that more but it's scary. You will be a great trainer, says I.

Anonymous said...

I'da commented earlier but the network cops at work have your awesome blog blocked canyabelieveit??

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy Kristin!

ConstLady

CharityF said...

I've tried to post before, dammit! and had a hard time.

So happy belated b-day!! Sorry to not write sooner.

Anja said...

hee! louis must be the horniest pup around :)

happy very belated birthday to you!

Dearest Cupcake said...

Happy Birthday my dear!!! And, ew. Remember "Humper" the cocker spaniel who plagued the Founders Memorial playground?