Thursday, June 22, 2006

Holistic Dog

Since Franklin has a little trouble relating to humans and has been reluctant to get in his crate, I am trying Bach's Flower Essences on him, per Lloyd's recommendation. He is taking Aspen, Rescue Remedy and Mimulus. Lloyd also recommended Water Violet, but I was unabel to find that in the store. He hasn't had too much interaction with people since he started the therapy, so it remains to be seen whether it will work. I will start trying to get him in his crate this weekend. I plan to put treats and food in there to entice him & keep the experience positive.

Also, I am considering a new diet for him, called BARF. People say BARF stands for different things, but the most common one I've heard is Biologically Available Raw Food. This means feeding the animal food that it would be eating in the wild. He will get raw chicken necks, backs and wings. Raw chicken bones are not brittle (as they are when they're cooked), so the choking hazard is less. He'll also get some livers, hearts, kidneys, etc. and kelp, which is very nutritious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the treatment! But where would he have gotten kelp in the wild? I've got these images in my head of Franklin scrambling down the rocks on the coast and fighting the seals for some seaweed. :-)

I like the theory - not only does it seem intuitively healthier for the dog, it also uses up some of the by-products that would otherwise be tossed.

Take care,
Jean

Anja said...

just remember to follow the multiple prey model - dont just feed ONE kind of prey to him. also, supplement with fish oil, (i give my dog a can of sardines twice weekly),veggies, and steer clear of grains...

anja with a barfer!