Monday, April 17, 2006

Working & Learning

Is it possibly to maintain your regular full time job while learning to be a dog trainer?

Most definitely. Usually an apprenticeship will involve attending dog training classes and observing the instructor's methods and teaching techniques. Many classes are on weekends or in the evening, to accommodate the dog owners' schedules. Additional training is possible through night or online classes at your local college. Seminars and conferences on dog training and behavior abound, but may require vacation time from your job to attend. If you love dogs, attending doggie conferences is a vacation!

I decided to pursue my apprenticeship without working a full time job initially because I wanted to work at the doggie daycare I mentioned below. I was able to do this through the support of my fiance and my small salary from the daycare. If doing this kind of job sounds like it would be something you would like to try, ask your local daycare if they have any weekend shifts available.

I am back working full time in a office now, with plenty of time to pursue dog training on weekends and evenings. Working a "regular" job makes me even more excited for the day when I can call myself a Professional dog obdience instructor!

No comments: